Colectomy is the removal of part or complete colon (large intestine). It is done to treat or prevent diseases affecting your colon. Colectomy may also be required if during a colonoscopy, precancerous changes in the colon are seen. Colectomy can be done in either of two ways – open or laparoscopy colectomy. The procedure type depends upon your medical condition and the surgeon’s expertise.
Types of Colectomy
- Total colectomy (removal of the whole colon)
- Partial colectomy (removal of part of the colon)
- Hemicolectomy (removal of the right/left part of the colon)
- Proctocolectomy (removal of both the colon and rectum)
When is Colectomy done?
- Severe bleeding from the colon
- Bowel problem due to a blocked colon
- Colon cancer
- Crohn’s disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Diverticulitis (inflection of bulges formed in colon)
- Colon cancer prevention surgery to those at high risk of colon cancer
Recovery after Colectomy
The hospital stay depends upon how soon you have normal bowel movement. It can take about a week. You will be on liquid diet for a few days. Complete recovery may take over three weeks.
Risks of Colectomy
- Blood clots in the legs and lungs
- Injury to organs near colon
Cost of Colectomy
The cost of Colectomy in India is approximately US$3000.
Get the best cost estimate and suggestion for best hospital and specialist for your procedure.