Cost of Bariatric Surgery in India
The number of people undergoing bariatric or weight-loss surgery in India is increasing with every passing year due to more awareness on morbid obesity, availability of various techniques and facilities, expert surgeons, and high success rate in the country. If you are considering a bariatric surgery and cost is an important factor in your decision making, then let’s know the cost of bariatric surgery and its determinants in India.
Bariatric surgeries are deemed to be expensive and not covered under health insurance. It includes not only the procedure cost but also pre- and post-operation care expenses. A bariatric surgery may cost you between US$3100-9300 in India depending upon the type of procedure you undergo. You will even find variations in the cost of the process for each location and hospital even within the same geographical location.
Following are the major factors that determine the cost of bariatric surgery:
- Patient’s age and medical history
- Type of bariatric surgery procedure (Sleeve Gastrectomy, Biliopancreatic Diversion with duodenal switch, Gastric Bypass Surgery, Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery etc.)
- Unanticipated complication, treatment or equipment required
- Surgeon and other doctors’ fee (anesthetist, assistants etc.)
- Cost of living of the geographical location
- Type of hospital/room facility (general, twin sharing, deluxe etc.)
The other expenses that would be included in your operational treatment are:
- Investigative tests
- Implants, medical supplies before and after the surgery
- Hospital stay (three to six days)
- Post-surgery after discharge expenses
- Follow-up visits US$8-16
Cost varies with Indian cities
The cost of various bariatric surgeries varies with each location and hospital even within the same geographical region. In India, cost in metro cities is higher due to extra taxes levied on the machines, implants, and equipment etc. Bangalore and Chennai is deemed to be on higher side of the cost while cities like Kolkata, Ahmedabad, Noida, or Nagpur come up as low-cost destinations.
The variation in bariatric surgery cost in different cities is due to:
- Infrastructure of hospitals
- Different investigative tests cost
- Cost of living at the geographical location
Common types of the bariatric surgeries and their average cost in India
- Gastric Bypass Surgery (Roux-en-Y) – US$ 7,500-9,500
- Adjustable Gastric Banding (Lap Band Surgery) – US$ 4654-6205
- Intragastric Balloon (Gastric Balloon) – US$2792-3900
- Gastric Sleeve Surgery (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) – US$ 7,000-8,500
- Biliopancreatic Diversion with Duodenal Switch (Duodenal Switch or BPD/DS) – US$ 21000-41000
Are you an international patient?
Lower cost of bariatric surgeries in India is a major factor that draws patients from the U.S., UK, Africa, UAE, SriLanka, and Bangladesh etc., to the country. As an overseas patient you would be paying even less than the one-third of cost for a typical Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Bariatric surgery in India than what you pay in the U.S. with the same kind of quality treatment and without waiting time.
As an international patient, you have to also include the cost of travelling, hotel stay, and food too in your bariatric surgery budget.
How MedGurus can help you
Since cost is a big factor in decision making for undergoing bariatric surgery and some hospitals may keep it deliberately confusing, you may discuss with us and get more clarity on that too. At MedGurus, if you discuss your case with us, we offer you guidance on hospitals based on your specific medical case and bariatric surgery budget.