Dr. Mukut Minz
Director- Fortis Hospital, Mohali
Department – Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Surgery
Procedures Expertised : Live and Cadaver kidney transplant, transplant immunosuppression, renal auto transplantation, AV fistulas
Introduction of Dr. Mukut Minz
Padma Shri Dr (Prof.) Mukut Minz is a renowned kidney transplant surgeon in India. Before joining Fortis Hospital, Mohali, he led the department of Kidney Transplant Surgery at PGIMER for over 30 years. During his service, he set up the department of Kidney Transplant Surgery and performed more than 3300 kidney transplants and also started the Combined Kidney- pancreas Transplant Program for Type 1 Diabetes. He performed the first cadaver kidney transplant in 1996 and first laparoscopic donor nephrectomy in 2004. PGIMER is today a top centre for pancreas transplant in North India and the department performs a number of complicated dialysis access procedures.
With over 37 years of combined surgical experience, Dr. Mukut Minz is an expert in complex procedures that include Live and cadaver kidney and pancreas transplant, multiorgan transplant and retrieval from cadaver, kidney transplant in abnormal bladder- augmentation cystoplasty and ileal conduit, dialysis access procedures- AV fistulas and PTFE vascular grafts for hemodialysis, vascular surgery for portal hypertension, immunosuppressive transplants, reno vascular hypertension surgery and renal auto transplantation.
Dr. Mukut Minz led the team that carried out kidney transplant of India’s External Affairs Minister, Mrs. Sushma Swaraj at AIIMS, Delhi. He is a highly trained surgeon in cadaver organ retrieval and transplantations and has acquired such training from various international universities. He has also trained more than 30 surgeons in organ transplantation, who are now practicing in prestigious institutes in India and overseas.
Dr. Mukut Minz has contributed immensely towards the field of kidney transplant in India, primarily while serving with PGIMER. He is a regular invited faculty in national and international medical forums and also has several publications to his credit. He also has been awarded and appreciated for his services on numerous occasions worldwide.
- Director, Kidney and Pancreas Transplant Surgery, Fortis Hospital, Mohali, Present
- Professor and Head, Kidney Transplant Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, 1980-2015
- MBBS, Sambhalpur University, Odisha, 1980
- MS, General Surgery, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, 1982
- Fellowships in Multi-organ Transplant:
- Minneapolis, USA
- Oslo, Norway
- Munich and Heidelberg, Germany
- Gothenburg, Sweden
- Indian Medical Association
- Association of Surgeons of India
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
Awards and recognition
- Padma Shri Award, 2017
- Member of Governing Body, PGIMER, 2015
- Bhubaneswar Oration, Association of Surgeons of India, 2015
- Odisha Gaurav Samman, 2012
- Prof. R V S Yadav Memorial Oration, 18 th Annual Conference of Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
- Hospital Affiliations
- Experience / Tranining
- Medical School
- Leadership Roles
- Kidney Transplant
- Urological Surgeries