Dr. Samuel Mathew
MBBS, MD, DM
Consultant Cardiologist- Wockhardt Hospitals, Mumbai
- Interventional Cardiology, Coronary Angioplasty, Carotid Stenting
Introduction of Dr. Samuel Mathew
Dr. Samuel Mathew Kalarickal is best known as the pioneer of angioplasty in India. He is the cardiologist who is responsible for having brought new techniques of angioplasty in India. With an experience over 40 years, Dr. Samuel has performed more than 25,000 angioplasties in several hospitals in the country. He has trained and taught many interventional cardiologists in India, Australia and South-East Asia.
Having trained under the leading expert of angiography, Dr. Andreas Gruentzig at Emory University, Atlanta, Dr. Samuel came back to India to practice in several hospitals all over the country. His area of interest includes various interventional cardiology procedures such as Coronary artery bypass grafting, Aortic aneurysm surgery, endovascular repair, mitral valve replacement, etc.
Dr. Samuel is also one of the first doctors in India to implement new techniques in Angioplasty and use it in his surgeries. This includes coronary stenting, rotablator atherectomy, percutaneous bypass and carotid stenting as well. He also has an experience of over 800 Rotablation cases and more than 3000 Intracoronary stenting cases. He has been involved in numerous inventions and is actively involved in research activities to develop new devices and techniques for the ease of utilization in this field.
Dr. Samuel Mathew has also performed drug trials in patients undergoing high-risk coronary angioplasty. With his exceptional knowledge in angioplasty, he has taught in almost 136 Catheterization Laboratories in 12 countries around the world. He has been part of live case operations for numerous occasions imparting training and experience. For his immense contribution to the world of coronary and interventional cardiology, he has also been honoured with several awards.
- Consultant Cardiologist- Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai, Present
- Director, Interventional Cardiology and Cardiac Catheterization Lab, Apollo Hospital, Chennai, Present
- Visiting Interventional Cardiologist at several hospitals in India, Present
- Teaching Faculty, Various colleges and hospital around the world in Melbourne, Beijing, Brisbane, Georgia, Washington, Perth, etc.
- Founder Chairman, National Angioplasty Registry of India
- MBBS, Government College, Kottayam, 1974
- MD, General Medicine, Stanley Medical College, University of Madras, 1978
- DM, Cardiology, Madras Medical College, 1981
- Doctorate of Science, Dr. MGR University, 2003
- European Society of Cardiology
- American College of Cardiology
- Society of Cardiac Angiography and Interventions
- Former President, Asia-Pacific Society of Interventional Cardiology
- Former Chairman, Interventional Cardiology, Asia-Pacific Society of Cardiology
Awards and Achievements:
- Padma Shri, 2000
- Dr. B.C. Roy Award, 1996
- Hospital Affiliations Wockhardt Hospitals, Mumbai
- Experience / Tranining
- Medical School
- Leadership Roles
- Angioplasty Stenting/Peripheral Angioplasty
- Aortic Stent Grafting