An endoscopy is a technique done under anesthesia, in which a specialized instrument is used to see and work on the specific area of the internal organs of your body. It permits the doctors to view issues inside your body without making extensive entry cuts or incisions.
The doctor embeds an endoscope through a little cut or an opening in the body, like the mouth. An endoscope is a tube with a camera that helps the doctor to see inside the body. If need be, the doctor then removes the tissue for biopsy using surgical tools which is sent for lab testing.
When is Endoscopy advised?
Endoscopy is basically done to diagnose, investigate and treat a condition. It is recommended when your doctor suspects any infection, damage, or cancerous growth inside any part of your body.
Types of Endoscopy
Types of Endoscopy are based on the area of the body to be investigated.
- Hysteroscopy to examine uterus – Endoscope inserted through vagina
- Laparoscopy to examine abdominal or pelvic area – Endoscope inserted through a small incision near the pelvic area
- Arthroscopy to examine joints – Endoscope inserted near the joint to be examined.
- Bronchoscopy to examine lungs – Endoscope inserted into your nose or mouth.
- Cystoscopy to examine bladder – Endoscope inserted through urethra
- Enteroscopy to examine small intestine – Endoscope inserted through your mouth or anus
- Ureteroscopy to examine ureter – Endoscope inserted through urethra
- Colonoscopy to examine colon – Endoscope inserted through anus
- Laryngoscopy to examine voice box (larynx) – Endoscope inserted through mouth or nostril
- Mediastinoscopy to examine the area between the lungs (mediastinum) – Endoscope inserted through an incision above breastbone
- Upper gastrointestinal endoscopy to examine esophagus & upper intestinal tract – Endoscope inserted through mouth
Endoscopy is mostly an outpatient procedure wherein you can go home the same day. You may have small stitches which may dissolve on its own or be removed in few days. You may experience mild uncomfortable signs such as bloating and gas, sore throat, or cramping.
Although a safe procedure, you can expect below risk in rare cases
- Damage to internal organs
Cost of Endoscopy
The cost of endoscopy in India is approximately US$150. To get the best cost estimate for the procedure in India, please share your medical reports.