In this article, we have covered the following:
- Best Hospitals for treatment of Aplastic Anemia
- Top Hematologists treating Aplastic Anemia
- Cost of treatment for Aplastic Anemia in India
- Understanding Aplastic Anemia
Best Doctors and Hospitals for Treatment of Aplastic Anemia
Following is a list of the most reputed specialists in India for the treatment of Aplastic Anemia.
Please click the ‘contact doctor‘ button on the right side for seeking opinion or requesting an appointment with your chosen specialist.
(*On mobile device, please click the ‘+’ symbol on the left to access the contact form)
Cost of Treatment of Aplastic Anemia
Unfortunately, we are not able to share the cost of this treatment as we are still awaiting response from few hospitals before publishing the cost. However, you may share your medical reports and we will share the cost of treatment from the hospital recommended for you.
Aplastic Anemia – key facts
- Aplastic anemia is a syndrome of bone marrow failure.
- Aplastic anemia is thought to be more common in Asia than in the West.
- Increased incidence may be related to environmental factors, increased exposure to toxic chemicals.
- Male:female ratio 1:1.
- Occurs in all age groups ,increase incidence is observed in childhood.
- A second peak is observed in people aged 20-25 years.
- 80% of cases are acquired. Rest is inherited.
- Clinical and laboratory observations suggest that acquired aplastic anemia is an autoimmune disease.
Signs and symptoms
Symptoms related to the decrease in bone marrow production of hematopoietic cells.
Onset is insidious.
Signs and symptoms of aplastic anemia may include the following:
- Palpitations, shortness of breath
- Foot swelling
- Gingival bleeding, rashes
- Overt and/or recurrent infections
- Oropharyngeal ulcerations
The oral pharynx, hands, and nail beds should be carefully examined for inherited bone marrow-failure syndromes.
Diagnosis of Aplastic Anemia
Laboratory testing for suspected aplastic anemia includes the following:
- Complete blood count (CBC)
- Peripheral blood smears
- Hemoglobin electrophoresis and blood-group testing
- Viral markers
- Histocompatibility testing
- Kidney function studies
- Liver function studies
Bone marrow biopsy & aspiration to assess cellularity qualitatively and quantitatively.
Bone marrow culture may be useful in diagnosing infections.
Management of Aplatic Anemia
Aplastic anemia is a hematologic emergency, and treatment should be done on priority.
- Immunosuppressive agents
- Hematopoietic growth factors
- Antimetabolite & antineoplastic agents
- Chelating agents
- Supportive care
- Blood transfusions with blood products.
- Hematopoietic cell transplantation-it is the treatment of choice for a young patient with aplastic anemia.
The outcome of patients with aplastic anemia has improved because of improved supportive care.
Estimated 10-year survival rate is better in hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) compared to patient receiving immunosuppression therapy
The major causes of morbidity and mortality from aplastic anemia include infection along with bleeding.
Patients who undergo HCT have issues related to graft versus host disease (GVHD), as well as a potential for graft failure.
Note (for foreign patients):
Besides South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka), every year, India gets thousands of medical tourists from African countries- Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Ghana, Somalia,Gambia etc and Middle Eastern countries like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Yemen etc. Hence, if you are a citizen of any of these countries, there is good likelihood that you will be meeting some fellow citizens or same language speakers in the major hospitals in India. Almost all the top hospitals have translators for people of these region. Our patient support team is also well placed to assist you.