Breast Cancer Surgery
In this article, we have covered the following aspects of Breast Cancer Surgery:
- Best Hospitals in India for Breast Cancer Surgery
- Top Specialists in India for Breast Cancer Surgery
- Cost of Breast Cancer Surgery in India
- Understanding Breast Cancer Surgery
Best Doctors and Hospitals in India for Breast Cancer Surgery
Following is a list of the most reputed specialists in India for Breast Cancer Surgery.
Please click the ‘contact doctor‘ button on the right side for seeking opinion or requesting an appointment with your chosen specialist.
(*On mobile device, please click the ‘+’ symbol on the left to access the contact form)
Cost of Breast Cancer Surgery in India
Following is a broad idea of costs you would be incurring:
- Stage I/II non metastatic disease-Surgery(Mastectomy/MRM)(4500-5500 US$) IS CONSIDERED AS THE BEST TREATMENT
- In III/IV metastatic disease chemotherapy -500-800 $ PER CYCLE MINIMUM OF 3 CYCLES…MAXIMUM OF 6-8 CYCLES.IF TARGETED THERAPY USED THEN CHEMOTHERAPY COST WILL BE APPROXIMATE 1200-1500 PER CYCLE
+ (followed by)
Surgery if lesion is operable (4500-5500US$)
+ chemotherapy/radiotherapy(with weekly chemotherapy 200-400 US$ PER WEEK)
*Please note; the given cost estimate is a very general one. Every cancer case is unique, and your oncologist will advise best treatment plan after evaluation of case. This is just to give you a basic first level idea.
Understanding Breast Cancer Surgery
The basic aim of breast cancer surgery is to get rid of cancerous cells present in the breast. The kind of breast cancer surgery you undergo depends upon your medical conditions and the cancer spread. Performed under general anesthesia, it takes over three hours to complete a surgery.
Types of Breast Cancer Surgery
- Removal of only part of the breast containing the cancer cells also called breast-conserving surgery (lumpectomy, quadrantectomy, or partial mastectomy)
- Removal of the entire breast (Mastectomy)
Indications for Breast Cancer Surgery
- To prevent the spread of cancer in the breast by removing one or both breasts partially or completely
- To find out the cancer spread (stage of cancer) in the lymph nodes (underarms) and also remove affected nearby lymph nodes in the breast, if needed
- To restore the shape of breast after a cancer surgery (breast reconstruction)
Recovery after Breast Cancer Surgery
Your hospital stay is about three days. It will be longer if you have a breast reconstruction surgery along with cancer surgery. You will be on medications and advised some arm exercises and precautions related to bandage and incisions care. Complete recovery would take few months and require follow-up doctor visits.
Note (for foreign patients):
Besides South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka), every year, India gets thousands of medical tourists from African countries- Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Ghana, Somalia,Gambia etc and Middle Eastern countries like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Yemen etc. Hence, if you are a citizen of any of these countries, there is good likelihood that you will be meeting some fellow citizens or same language speakers in the major hospitals in India. Almost all the top hospitals have translators for people of these region. Our patient support team is also well placed to assist you.