Breast Cancer Treatment in India
In this article, we have covered the following aspects of Breast Cancer treatment:
- Best hospitals in India for the treatment of Breast Cancer
- Best Oncologists in India specializing in management of Breast Cancer
- Cost of Breast Cancer treatment in India – a broad estimate of the costs you will incur in treatment of breast cancer
- Understanding Breast Cancer
Best Doctors and Hospitals in India for treatment of Breast Cancer
Following is a list of the most reputed specialists in India for the treatment of Breast Cancer.
Please click the ‘contact doctor‘ button on the right side for seeking opinion or requesting an appointment with your chosen specialist.
(*On mobile device, please click the ‘+’ symbol on the left to access the contact form)
Top Surgical Oncologists for Breast Cancer Surgery
|Doctor Image||Dr. Name||Specialty||Hospital Associated||Contact Doctor||City|
|Dr. Vedant Kabra||Surgical Oncologist||Fortis Memorial Research Institute||Contact Doctor||Gurgaon|
|Dr. Rajeev Agarwal||Surgical Oncologist||Medanta - The Medicity||Contact Doctor||Gurgaon|
|Dr. Kanchan Kaur||Surgical Oncologist||Medanta - The Medicity||Contact Doctor||Gurgaon|
|Dr. Archana Shetty||Surgical Oncologist||Kokilaben Dhirubai Ambani Hospital||Contact Doctor||Mumbai|
|Dr. Harit Chaturvedi||Surgical Oncologist||Max Super Specialty Hospital||Contact Doctor||Delhi|
|Dr. Mandar Nadkarni||Surgical Oncologist||Kokilaben Dhirubai Ambani Hospital||Contact Doctor||Mumbai|
|Dr. Kapil Kumar||Surgical Oncologist||BLK Super Specialty Hospital||Contact Doctor||Delhi|
Top Medical Oncologists for Breast Cancer Treatment
|Doctor Image||Dr. Name||Specialty||Hospital Associated||Contact Doctor||City|
|Dr. Ashok Kumar Vaid||Medical Oncologist||Medanta - The Medicity||Contact Doctor||Gurgaon|
|Dr. Rakesh Chopra||Medical Oncologist||Artemis Hospital||Contact Doctor||Gurgaon|
|Dr. Vinod Raina||Medical Oncologist||Fortis Memorial Research Institute||Contact Doctor||Gurgaon|
|Dr Bellarmine Vincent Lawrence||Medical Oncologist||Global Hospitals||Contact Doctor||Chennai|
|Dr. Niti Raizada Narang||Medical Oncologist||Fortis Hospital||Contact Doctor||Bangalore|
|Dr Rajasundaram||Medical Oncologist||Global Hospitals||Contact Doctor||Chennai|
|Dr. Boman Nariman Dhabhar||Medical Oncologist||Wockhardt Hospitals||Contact Doctor||Mumbai|
Cost of Breast Cancer Treatment in India
Following is a tentative idea of treatment and cost you can expect:
- Stage I/II non metastatic disease-Surgery(Mastectomy/MRM)(4500-5500 US$) IS CONSIDERED THE BEST TREATMENT
- In III/IV metastatic disease chemotherapy -500-800 $ PER CYCLE MINIMUM OF 3 CYCLES…MAXIMUM OF 6-8 CYCLES.IF TARGETED THERAPY USED THEN CHEMOTHERAPY COST WILL BE APPROXIMATE 1200-1500 PER CYCLE
+ (followed by)
Surgery if lesion is operable (4500-5500US$)
+ chemotherapy/radiotherapy(with weekly chemotherapy 200-400 US$ PER WEEK)
*Please note; the given cost estimate is a very general one. Every cancer case is unique, and your oncologist will advise best treatment plan after evaluation of case. This is just to give you a basic first level idea.
Understanding Breast Cancer
- Breast cancer is a life-threatening cancer in women & leading cause of death in females (in developed countries, however, lung cancer has surpassed the a cause of cancer death in women)
- Increasing age and female sex are established risk factors
- A positive family history of breast cancer is the most important risk factor
- A family history of ovarian cancer at an early age(<50 years) in a first-degree relative, has been associated with a doubling of breast cancer risk.
- First pregnancy at late age, nulliparity , early onset of menses, and late age of menopause have all been associated with an increased risk of breast cancer.
- As with cancers of the colon and prostate, diets that are rich in grains, fruits, and vegetables; low in saturated fats; low in energy (calories); and low in alcohol are thought to be protective against breast cancer
- Mediterranean diet (characterized especially by a high consumption of vegetables and olive oil and moderate consumption of protein) is associated with lower risk for breast cancer.
- Obesity has been consistently associated with Increased risk of postmenopausal breast cancer
- High doses of ionizing radiation to the chest area, particularly during puberty is seen as a risk factor for breast cancer
- The incidence of breast cancer is higher in non-Hispanic whites than in women of other racial or ethnic groups. Among women younger than 40 years, African Americans have a higher incidence
Types of Breast Cancer
The various types of breast cancers are listed below by percentage of cases:
- Infiltrating ductal carcinoma is the most commonly diagnosed breast tumor ;tendency to metastasize ; 75% of breast cancers
- Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) peak incidence is in women aged 40-50 years
- Infiltrating lobular carcinoma 15% of invasive breast cancers
- Medullary carcinoma 5% of cases ;occurs in younger women
- Mucinous (colloid) carcinoma fewer than 5% of invasive breast cancer
- Tubular carcinoma of the breast accounts for 1-2% of all breast cancers
- Papillary carcinoma seen in women older than 60 years; 1-2% of all breast cancers
- Metaplastic breast cancer less than 1% of breast cancer cases, occur in older women , higher incidence in blacks
- Mammary Paget disease 1-4% of all breast cancers ; peak incidence in the sixth decade of life
Investigations for Breast Cancer
Early breast cancers may be asymptomatic; pain and discomfort are typically not present.
If a lump is discovered then following symptoms may suggest breast cancer
- Change in breast size or shape
- Skin dimpling or skin changes
- Recent nipple inversion or skin change, or nipple abnormalities
- Single-duct blood stained discharge
- Axillary lump
- Lump or shape change
- Skin tethering (tendency to pull the overlying skin inwards causing a visible dimple)
- Nipple inversion
- Dilated veins
- Paget disease
- Edema or peau d’orange (French word for orange peel skin)
If a palpable lump is found and possesses any of the following features, breast cancer may be present:
- Focal nodules
- Fixation to skin or muscle
Early detection remains the primary modality in preventing breast cancer.
Screening modalities include the following:
- Breast self-examination
- Clinical breast examination
- Magnetic resonance imaging
Ultrasonography and MRI are more sensitive than mammography for invasive cancer.
Combined mammography, clinical examination, and MRI are more sensitive than any other individual test or combination tests.
Mammography is a the use of low-dose x-ray used to image the breast. It is currently the best available method for detecting breast cancer and for diagnostic workup of patients.
Screening mammography is performed in asymptomatic women, whereas diagnostic mammography is performed in symptomatic women .Mammography often detects a lesion before it is palpable by clinical breast examination
Digital mammography is a recent advancement which allows the image to be stored
Diagnostic mammography is more expensive than screening mammography.it is used to determine the exact size and location of breast abnormalities.
A ductogram (or galactogram) is sometimes helpful for determining the cause of nipple discharge.A small amount of contrast medium is injected, and show whether a mass is present inside the duct
Women who had surgery for breast cancer may still require breast cancer screening with mammography.
If a woman had a total mastectomy, then the other breast requires yearly follow-up, because there is still a higher risk that cancer will develop in the another breast.
If the woman had a subcutaneous mastectomy, partial mastectomy, or lumpectomy, then that breast itself requires follow-up mammography.
Mammography may be performed every 6-12 months for screening and follow-up.
Core biopsy with image guidance is the recommended diagnostic approach . This is a method for obtaining breast tissue without surgery .
Open excisional biopsy is the surgical removal of the entire lump.
Treatment of Breast Cancer
“Surgery and radiation therapy, along with adjuvant hormone or chemotherapy , are now considered primary treatment for breast cancer.
Surgical therapy may consist of lumpectomy or total mastectomy. Radiotherapy post surgery is an effort to eradicate residual disease while reducing recurrence rates
Surgical treatment of invasive breast cancer may consist of lumpectomy or total mastectomy.”
A simple mastectomy involves removing the breast along with skin that encompasses the nipple-areola complex. It is contraindicated in patients who have inoperable locally advanced breast cancer.
Prophylactic mastectomy is an option for women found to be at extremely high risk for breast cancer. Either total mastectomy or subcutaneous (nipple-sparing) mastectomy may be performed.
Women with unilateral breast cancer who are at average risk should be discouraged from undergoing a contralateral prophylactic mastectomy (CPM), because most of those women, will not obtain a survival benefit, and it doubles the risk of surgical complications.
Also called as partial mastectomy / segmental mastectomy / tylectomy
Lumpectomy is defined as an excision of a breast lump with a surrounding border of normal breast tissue.
Prior needle biopsy confirmation of the nature of the breast mass is needed before undergoing surgery.
Postoperative radiotherapy to the chestwall is recommended for Patients undergoing lumpectomy for cancer to reduce the risk of local recurrence.
Note (for foreign patients):
Besides South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka), every year, India gets thousands of medical tourists from African countries- Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Ghana, Somalia,Gambia etc and Middle Eastern countries like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Yemen etc. Hence, if you are a citizen of any of these countries, there is good likelihood that you will be meeting some fellow citizens or same language speakers in the major hospitals in India. Almost all the top hospitals have translators for people of these region. Our patient support team is also well placed to assist you.