Most of us must have experienced back pain sometime in your lives, which we often tend to ignore unless the problem aggravates or interferes your regular day-to-day activities.
But a recent research published in the European Journal of Pain, will compel you to never taking casually that back pain treatment. A study conducted by experts at the University of Sydney, Australia warns that a regular back pain can increase your risk of dying early, by almost 13% compared to people who do not suffer any kind of spinal (back and neck) pain.
The study notices, a person’s regular back pain was not the actual cause of death, rather signs of other factors such as poor health or low physical abilities, linked to an increased risk of death. Thus back pain “is part of a pattern of poor health.”
Causes of back pain
There can be numerous causes of back pain. Your back, especially the lower back or lumbar region is a complex, interconnected network of nerves, discs, spinal muscles, bones, ligaments and tendons. Any kind of strain, pressure or compression in any of these parts can cause pain. It can be from mild to severe. This can occur due to wrong body postures during sitting, sleeping or standing positions, falls from heights, accidents, strains due to sudden activity, or sports injuries.
It is important to know here when your back pain needs your doctor’s attention. Visit your doctor if the pain lasts over a month or doesn’t get better even after rest, pain medications, or back pain therapies such as ice or heat pack, exercises, yoga, physiotherapy etc.
Kind of back pain in which you must see your doctor
- Chronic back pain i:e., persisting for a long time or constantly recurring
- Back pain occurring during night time
- If the pain extends downward along the leg, it may be sciatica pain
- Pain is on the left side of the back
- In case of numbness, tingling sensation in the back
- Acute aggravating pain from neck to lower back
- Weakness in your lower body including arms which may be a sign of some spine injury
- If the pain increases on coughing or bending forward
- If the back pain is accompanied with fever or problem in urination
- If the back pain is accompanied with bladder or bowel dysfunction
- Back pain combined with unexplained weight loss
- Back pain after taking steroids or some medication
Surgery as back pain treatment
Surgery for back pain relief is only done when all other alternatives treatment methods fail to relieve pain or improve your mobility. Surgeries are usually recommended for severe chronic pains, sciatica, slip disc or disc herniation.
Some common back pain surgeries are spinal decompression surgery such as Laminectomy, Discectomy (surgical removal of the whole or a part of an intervertebral disc), spinal fusion, disc replacement surgery, of neck or lower back.
There are some advanced minimally invasive spine surgery (MISS) procedures like Radiofrequency denervation, Endoscopic Discectomy or lumbar fusion for back pain relief. The minimally invasive spine surgery involves specialized instruments to access the spine through small incisions contrary to the open spinal surgery that requires big cuts or incisions. MISS procedures are known for less bleeding, low doses of medicines, less post-surgery pain and a quicker recovery.
Have a serious problem that needs treatment? Contact us
Its winters and you crave for snacks in between meals adding to your daily calories intake. You usually end up binging on junk, fatty, spicy and oily food. As much as you want to control body weight, you are not able to resist fried samosas, patties, hot chocolate shakes or cakes.
Even if you had a liposuction or tummy tuck surgery to reduce that extra fat in your body, a healthy and controlled diet is necessary to maintain right body weight after such weight loss procedures. Nutritionists believe snacking can maintain your energy levels but it is wise to switch to healthy snacking to meet your nutritional needs. To fulfill your cravings in between meals, eat snacks that contain minerals, vitamins and proteins which will keep you energized and active through the day. Healthy snacking can also control your calorie intake.
Citrus fruits, nuts, dry fruits, legumes like peas, beans, soya beans, oats, veggies are winter favorite foods to meet body nutrient needs. They control body weight gain and can keep you away from binging.
Here are some healthy snacks ideas for you that will help you lose weight and prevent binge eating.
1. Lentil salad with tomatoes and watercress – Salads make a great afternoon snack. Lentils with plenty of carrots and tomatoes sprinkled with herbs is a combination to go for.
2. Apple & tomato salad – An a apple a day not only keeps a doctor away but it also helps to sustain your energy level. Combined with tomato and seasoned with herbs, salt and lemon keeps your hunger at halt for more than couple of hours. Apple and tomatoes boost immune system, help in weight loss, have anti-aging benefits apart from several other health advantages.
3. Oat snacks – Oats are great source of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. They have many health benefits. These include weight loss, lower blood sugar levels and a reduced risk of heart disease. You can try over tasty oats dosa, upma, idli etc. for snacks in between meals.
4. Shrimp stack – You can steam some pre-cooked shrimp and top it with herbs, yoghurt, salt, and lemon. Shrimp stack is not only satisfying but low in calories and fat.
5. Veggie tostada – Simple black beans and veggies are easy and quick healthy meal. Tostada is filled with fiber and unsaturated fats that aid digestion and keep heart healthy.
6. Spinach Couscous Salad – Fresh spinach, sliced red grapes, cheese crumbles, pecans and olive oil for dressing make an interesting snack.
So make smart choices to fulfill your winter food cravings without gaining weight and staying healthy too.
Cavities can also be contagious like flu. A recent research shows cavities in our mouths can be transmitted to infants, children and even adults. Kissing on mouth, sharing spoons, cups, or toothbrushes, sneezing can easily pass bacteria causing tooth cavity to the other person.
Mothers or caregivers who have cavities can easily transmit oral bacteria to infants and children. Children in the age group of six months to three years are more susceptible to oral infections.
Oral cavities occur when foods like milk, cereals, chocolates, sweets, bread, cakes, fruit, or cake etc., stick on teeth. The cavity causing bacteria – streptococcus mutans and lactobacilli, thrive in saliva. The bacteria in saliva along with the food debris facilitate acid formation in the mouth which dissolve tooth mineral and gradually a cavity is formed.
This means any activity that transmits bacteria infected saliva to the mouth of the other person can lead to teeth cavities.
Adults too can get cavity
Not only children, adults too can get tooth cavities. With age, teeth loosen and gums pull away from them exposing the roots. High intake of sugary or high carbohydrate foods also aid teeth cavities. Kissing on mouth of a person who has high oral bacteria count also make you susceptible to cavities.
Why do I have high cavity rate?
There can be many reasons for anyone facing multiple times tooth cavity. This can be due to any of the below reasons:
- Improper care of teeth
- Lack of dental hygiene
- Low immune system
- Any kind of contact (such as kissing, sharing utensils) with others who have cavities or high oral bacteria count
- High intake of carbohydrates and sugars
How to prevent cavity spread?
Dentists believe exposure to oral bacteria cannot be stopped but can be limited by bringing simple change in our habits and maintaining oral hygiene. By making these below as our habits can help prevent teeth cavities:
- Reduce sugar intake
- Brush teeth with fluoride toothpaste
- Brush teeth before going to bed at night
- Regularly use fluoride mouth rinse
- Avoid foods that stuck in your teeth like chocolates, chips, candies etc. Always rinse mouth after eating such foods
- Avoid kissing infants and children on mouth
- Do not place any utensil or other items first in your mouth then in child’s mouth
- Visit your dentist regularly for oral cleaning and examination
With rapid rise in knee replacement surgeries there has been a surge in the types of implants available. Today large number of different kinds of implants in the market are promoted by various manufacturers such as Johnson & Johnson (DePuy), Stryker, Zimmer, Synthes, Smith & Nephew and Biomet. Since the type and quality of knee implants are crucial to the knee replacement surgeries, you want to get the best one for yourself. But with vast information and advertising available on Internet, as a patient you are bound to be confused and worried as which knee implant is best for you.
Knee implant brands and claims
All the knee implants available in market today are medically tested and are launched after much research. Due to growing demand and competition, manufacturers these days are coming up with claims like gender-specific implants targeting growing women patients, or bending and rotation almost like natural knee. This trend of customized implants may appear good to achieve the best results possible. But, such claims are still at niche stage, not clinically proven or show no data related to their success in long term.
The ideal implant is only which permits normal movement for many years. This can only be seen if studied in long term that is for decades. There are no studies or research available today that proves the superiority of one brand of implant over another in terms of durability or improvement in function.
Then, how to select your knee implant?
You should understand the best implant for you is the one which meets your specific needs. This is best judged by your orthopedic surgeon. The surgeon selects the implant based on your age, weight, medical conditions, bone quality, lifestyle and level of activities expected.
Knee replacement is a most predictable replacement surgery with over 95% success rate. At present most knee implants available functions more or less same. The surgeons also usually prefer the tried and tested options available while the success of your knee replacement surgery largely depends upon:
- Expertise of your orthopedic surgeon
- His familiarity and experience in using certain implant
- Care after the surgery including physiotherapy, exercises
It is advisable to discuss with your doctor your concerns, how a recommended implant would benefit you, and then take an informed decision. Remember, knee replacement procedure is a life changing surgery. Whichever implant is used the care, exercises, precautions and physiotherapy after the surgery are very important to gain maximum benefits.
If you have any query or need guidance for your knee replacement procedure, you can call our Patient Advisors for free guidance.
A healthy brain is necessary for healthy living, as your brain creates ideas, makes memories, controls behavior, helps develop skills, and drives emotions. Brain is one of the most complex objects in the universe.
There are innumerable studies and research that try to decode different parts of brain, their function and often stranger abilities that you could ever think of – these that we need to know for the health of our brain but tend to ignore.
Here we have tried to gather for you some peculiar facts about your brain related to your day-to-day activities that would not only surprise you but force you to rethink ‘Am I doing enough for my brain’s health?’
- Never stop learning and experiencing new things in life to keep your brain working and healthy.
The more it is active, longer and better it functions.
- Dieting severely affects the normal functioning of your brain.
You may diet but do not starve yourself of the nutrients needed for the healthy brain, like carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, fatty acids.
- Seafood is best for your brain.
Studies have proved fatty acids in fishes improve memory function and prevent dementia.
- Increased risk of brain tumors is linked to long-term usage of mobile phones.
We know you cannot give up the gadget, but can try to limit the use like taking time off the cell phone at different intervals in a day or putting your phone on silent or notifications stopped so that you are not tempted to see at every buzz etc.
- If brain loses blood even for 8-10 seconds, you lose consciousness.
In any such case of trauma or brain injury, know what is the first aid to be given, such as to apply pressure to the wound with sterile gauze or a clean cloth till the medical help arrives.
- Your brain combines all the learned memories of the day during night sleep.
Inadequate proper sleep can result in forgetfulness and weaken judgment. So don’t miss out on the good night sleep of 6-7 hours.
- Within 6 minutes of alcohol intake, your brain cells start to react
Alcohol affects the normal levels of neurotransmitters – the chemical messengers in the brain. Studies prove more drinking or alcoholism leads to structural and functional damage to brain cells.
- Drugs and cigarettes decrease brain’s functioning.
They impair cognitive processes affecting concentration, memory, and organizational skills. Stop smoking and better quit the habit for mental health.
- Exercise reduces the risk of neurodegenerative disease
Exercise even slows the course of Alzheimer. So take time out for exercise in your busy schedule.
- Reading aloud helps in brain development.
Reading aloud stimulates language acquisition and literacy skills. It helps in your child’s cognitive and social-emotional development.
It is said the basis of overall health lies in the brain. Though disease and illness are part of life, remember, the simple changes and little care in our routine living for healthy mind are worth following to avoid serious conditions. If you need any help on a medical treatment, mental or physical, and looking for the best hospitals in India for a specialty, you can call our patient advisors for ‘free’ guidance.
On this World Cancer Day let’s start with a positive note. Yes, we can. I can. That’s what also the theme of World Cancer Day 2016-2018 awareness drives is.
So, we can prevent cancer. And if still get caught we can fight it.
Next it’s some knowledge sharing and a small step towards this fight against cancer.
Remember it’s not always, genes or your bad luck that cause cancer but we ourselves sometimes unconsciously move towards the disease through our food habits, environment, and lifestyle. These are all those things that can mostly be controlled.
Just read on what 10 most common blunders we do each day that may bring us closer to cancer.
- Under the sun with no protection – Excess of UV rays are harmful to the effect to cause skin and breast cancer. We should avoid excess of sun exposure and use sun protection measures like sunblock creams, fully covered clothing, hats, and umbrellas etc., when going out in sun.
- Exposing yourself to chemicals in the environment -There are pollutants and harmful chemicals in the air coming from transport, industry, fossil fuel power stations, etc., that are becoming the common cause of lung cancers. As an individual, you can avoid producing more of it. Switch to vehicle pooling, public transport, cycling or walking if possible. Remember every drop counts in an ocean!
- Addicted to smoking and tobacco – A habit that is a slow killer is smoking and chewing tobacco. It’s a major cause of mouth, throat, larynx, lung, pancreas, bladder, and kidney around the world. Those affected also include passive smokers (i:e non-smokers around you). Tobacco (gutka) cause oral cancers, even the areca nut (supari) are also carcinogenic.
- Addicted to alcohol – By drinking too much you put yourself at high risk of cancers of liver, stomach, pancreas, esophagus, and colon.
- Follow unhealthy diet – Keeping a healthy body-weight through a balanced diet is essential. A diet full of junks, fat, added sugars, and processed packed and preserved for long food lead you towards cancer.
- Eating large quantity of red meat and processed meat– Studies prove eating regularly lot of red meat and processed meat can increase the risk of certain cancers like bowel, pancreatic and stomach cancer.
- Reusing oil for frying food – When heated beyond its boiling point edible oil produces carcinogenic substances. So just heat the oil and avoid reuse, especially when frying.
- Charcoaling, grilling, smoking, or barbequing food – The food cooked by these methods release carcinogenic nitrogen compounds, so avoid the much intake of charcoaled, grilled, smoked, or barbequed meat etc.
- Inactive lifestyle with no exercise and least activity – Exercise boosts energy and strengthen your internal organs like heart and lungs. A sedentary lifestyle with wrong eating habits leads to obesity which can be a reason for cancer.
- Do not go for regular screening – This is the most common blunder many of you do. Early detection increases the chances of maximum benefits from the cancer treatment. Visit your doctor for regular self-screenings for various types of cancers like skin, colon, cervix and breast etc.
Healthy living can always guard you against developing cancer and is a key to fight cancer disease.