Hairy Cell Leukemia
In this article, we have covered the following:
- Best Hospitals in India for Hairy Cell Leukemia treatment
- Top Oncologists for Hairy Cell Leukemia Treatment
- Cost of Hairy Cell Leukemia treatment in India
- Understanding Hair Cell Leukemia
Best Doctors and Hospitals for Hairy Cell Leukemia
Following is a list of the most reputed specialists in India for the treatment of Hairy Cell Leukemia.
Please click the ‘contact doctor‘ button on the right side for seeking opinion or requesting an appointment with your chosen specialist.
(*On mobile device, please click the ‘+’ symbol on the left to access the contact form)
Cost of Hairy Cell Leukemia treatment in India
Unfortunately, we are not able to share the cost of this treatment as we are still awaiting response from few hospitals before publishing the cost. However, you may share your medical reports and we will share the cost of treatment from the hospital recommended for you.
Understanding Hairy Cell Leukemia
- Hairy cell leukemia (HCL) is a chronic lymphoid leukemia, originally described by Bouroncle and colleagues in 1958
- These cells interferes with bone marrow function, resulting in bone marrow failure
- They infiltrate the liver and spleen, resulting in their enlargement
- Accumulation of hairy cells in the bone marrow, liver, and spleen, with small lymph node involvement, is characteristic of hairy cell leukemia
- Hairy cell leukemia is seen more commonly in whites. It is rare in Japan and in those of African descent
- The disease occurs more common in middle-aged men, with a median age of around 50 years. The male-to-female ratio is 4:1 to 5:1.
- Weakness and fatigue due to anemia
- One third of patients have bleeding due to low platelet counts
- One third have fever and infections due to low WBC count
- Abdominal discomfort from an enlarged spleen
- Some present with weight loss, fever associated with night sweats
Diagnosis of Hairy Cell Leukemia
- The peripheral blood cell counts show decreased cell counts
- Anemia is usually severe and normochromic-normocytic in character
- Neutropenia and monocytopenia are usually present in hairy cell leukemia, but an elevated white blood cell count (hairy cells) is found in 20% of cases
- Decreased platelet count is seen in more than 80% of patients
- The bone marrow aspiration test is usually unsuccessful due to a “dry tap.”.Core biopsy of the bone marrow shows a pattern of hairy cell infiltration
- Difficult cases can be confirmed by using immunophenotypic analysis
Treatment of Hairy Cell Leukemia
- Chemotherapeutic approaches
- Surgical Care
Hairy cell leukemia behaves like a chronic leukemia. With new treatment therapies, most patients achieve clinical remissions and, sometimes, long-term cures. Although relapses are known to occur after 5-10 years, they are usually responsive to the same treatment.
Note (for foreign patients):
Besides South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka), every year, India gets thousands of medical tourists from African countries- Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Ghana, Somalia,Gambia etc and Middle Eastern countries like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Yemen etc. Hence, if you are a citizen of any of these countries, there is good likelihood that you will be meeting some fellow citizens or same language speakers in the major hospitals in India. Almost all the top hospitals have translators for people of these region. Our patient support team is also well placed to assist you.