How to deal with hair loss?
Hair loss is a common problem troubling both men and women equally. Age is no more a detrimental factor for hair loss. It can happen to anyone at any age. Even children and persons as young as in their teens or twenties too face it. Hair loss or alopecia brings with it not only the physical but psychological and social challenges too.
You must have tried all kinds of hair fall remedies, but remember, they work best when treatment is based on eliminating the root cause of the problem. So do not just start following the ‘one-size-fits-all’ approach. Each one of you may have different reason for hair fall. Before trying for any kind of treatment in haste, it is essential to understand your type of hair loss, its reasons and then take the informed decision as to what mode of treatment would be best.
You may be facing any of the below types of hair loss:
- When the hair gradually thins with age (Involutional alopecia)
- A genetic condition of gradual hair loss in both men and women in their teen or early 20s (Androgenic alopecia)
- Sudden patchy hair loss in children and youngsters leading to total baldness but mostly the hair grows back in few years (Alopecia areata)
- The hair fall of whole body including the eyebrows and eyelashes (Alopecia universalis)
- Temporary hair thinning (Telogen effluvium)
- A permanent loss of hair due to skin disorders (Scarring alopecia)
What are the reasons of hair loss?
There can be many reasons to this problem. You should try to identify with the help of your dermatologist, which one is for yours, to decide the treatment type.
Any of the below may be the cause of your hair loss:
- Disease or illness like diabetes, thyroid, cancer, anemia etc.
- Side-effect of medications like that of blood pressure medicines, chemotherapy, antibiotics, birth-control pills, cancer medicines etc.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Nutritional deficiency
- Depression or stress
- After childbirth in women
- Cosmetic procedures, like too much shampooing, perming, hair color, dyeing or bleaching
- Tight braiding using hot comb or hot curlers
Which treatment is best for hair loss?
To tackle the hair loss problem it’s important to know the cause. Your dermatologist would recommend the treatment based on the type and reason of the alopecia. Today there are several treatment options available to cure hair thinning or baldness such as creams, tablets, lotions, and oil. For extensive hair loss or baldness, immunotherapy, cell therapy, laser therapy, scalp reduction, or hair transplant etc., are done by dermatologists. All those of you who are recommended any such treatments or therapies to treat hair loss, be careful in choosing the right hair clinic and surgeon. A skilled and experienced doctor can help get best results with minimum scarring and natural hair line.
Here also a line of caution, among all the products out in the market claiming to do miracle, some may be shams too. Always consult your dermatologist to know what is best and do not forget to clear your doubts or queries.
Your diet holds the key to healthy hair
Whatever may be the cause of hair loss, a healthy body and mind always has a greater ability to fight it. So never compromise on nutrients in your food intake. Some food items good for health of your hair and their growth are milk, cheese, spinach, carrot, almonds, walnuts, lentils, legumes, fish, chicken, and eggs etc.