IVF Procedure in India
In this article, we have covered the following aspects of In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), also known as Test Tube Baby:
- Best IVF Hospitals & Clinics in India
- Top IVF Specialists in India known for excellent success rate
- Cost of IVF Procedure in India (IVF packages)
- Understanding IVF Procedure & its variants like ICSI, IMSI etc
Best Doctors, Hospitals & Clinics for IVF Procedure in India
Following is a list of the most reputed specialists in India for IVF Procedure.
Please click the ‘contact doctor‘ button on the right side for seeking opinion or requesting an appointment with your chosen specialist.
(*On mobile device, please click the ‘+’ symbol on the left to access the contact form)
|Doctor Image||Dr. Name||Specialty||Hospital Associated||Contact Doctor||City|
|Dr. Sonia Malik||IVF||Southend Fertility and IVF Centre||Delhi|
|Dr Duru Shah||IVF||Global Hospital||Mumbai|
|Dr. Hrishikesh D Pai||IVF||Fortis Memorial Research Institute|
Lilavati Hospital & Research Centre
|Dr. Nandita P Palshetkar||IVF||Fortis Memorial Research Institute|
Lilavati Hospital & Research Centre
|Dr. M Gouri Devi||IVF||Fortis Hospital||Delhi|
|Dr. Ila Gupta||IVF||Artemis Hospital||Gurgaon|
|Dr Padmapriya Vivek||IVF||Global Hospitals||Chennai|
Cost of IVF Procedure in India
An IVF Cycle in India costs between USD 4000-5500 in India.
Understanding IVF Procedure
IVF or In Vitro Fertilization is an assisted reproductive treatment for infertility when a couple is not able to conceive naturally due to some reason. In this procedure the egg and the sperm are fertilized outside the body in a lab and after the embryo is formed, it is thereafter placed in the uterus of the woman.
When can a person/ couple opt for IVF?
A couple can opt for Test Tube Baby if they are facing from one or any of the following conditions:
- Male infertility: Male infertility can be the result of low sperm count, poor sperm quality or low sperm motility (slow or improper movement of sperm). Almost 90% of male infertility cases are due to these reasons and the remaining may be caused by other problems such as genetic disorders or hormonal imbalances.
- Issues in ovulation: The function of an ovary in a female is o release eggs. If there is no ovulation or the ovary is releasing fewer eggs or releasing unhealthy eggs, you can go for Test Tube baby.
- Blocked or damaged fallopian tubes: The fallopian tubes are the passage through which the eggs from the ovary reach the uterus. If the fallopian tubes are blocked, damaged or removed for any reason the process is incomplete and a woman is unable to conceive.
- Absence of uterus:During several cases if a woman is born without a uterus or if it has been removed as a result of cancer or other medical reasons, the woman cannot conceive. In such cases the embryo can be planted in a surrogate mother’s uterus through IVF to attain pregnancy (India however, doesn’t allow surrogacy for international patients now)
- Uterine problem: Uterine fibroids (benign tumors) and endometriosis (when tissue lining the uterus grows outside the uterus) can interfere with the implantation of a fertilized egg and thus prevent pregnancy. IVF treatment can be a solution to such problems.
- Genetic Testing: Couples can choose IVF when there is a risk of passing a genetic disease to the child from either parent. Pre implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) is a test where the embryos fertilized in the lab can be screened for any genetic disease. This helps in transferring only those embryos to the uterus that are healthy and have no identified diseases.
- Death of a partner: These days a number of couples store their eggs or sperm to use later in case of any uncertain problems. Therefore, if either of the partners passes away, the stored sperm or eggs can be used to achieve pregnancy through Test Tube Baby.
- Preserving Fertility: Freezing of eggs is a part of the IVF procedure where a women suffering from diseases like cancer can freeze her egg and preserve her fertility. This is because cancer can lower the egg quality and even affect the chance of conceiving. With the egg freezing technique, the couple can conceive when they are ready or the woman has recovered from her disease.
- Inexplicable infertility: Even when there are no signs of any disorder or abnormality in both the partners, there may be other reasons when pregnancy cannot be attained. IVF can be the solution in such cases.
- Same sex couples: Nowadays same sex couples can also conceive through IVF by using a donor sperm or egg. This however is not yet permissible in several countries of the world, including in India.
Steps in IVF procedure
The step by step details in IVF procedure are as follows:
1. Egg Stimulation in IVF
In order to increase the chances of embryo fertilization after egg retrieval, multiple eggs are required. Therefore, fertility medicines and hormones are given to the female to stimulate the production of eggs by the ovaries. During the stimulation process blood tests are done regularly to measure the hormone levels and transvaginal ultrasounds are also done to monitor the ovarian follicles.
When there is absence of ovulation or no egg production in the ovaries, the doctor may recommend donor eggs.
2. Egg Retrieval
When the eggs are produced in the ovary, the process of retrieval begins. The process is done through a minor surgery that involves inserting an ultrasound probe through the vagina followed by a needle. The probe helps to search for the egg follicles and the needle is used to retrieve the eggs. These eggs are then placed in a Petri dish (culture medium) and incubated and for the fertilization with the sperm. This step usually takes about 20 minutes.
3. Egg Fertilization and Embryo Culture in IVF
After the egg retrieving process, the next step is to fertilize the egg to form an embryo. This process is either done through
- Insemination- Here the sperms (partner’s or donor’s) are mixed with the egg for the fertilization to take place and are closely observed for embryo development.
- ICSI- Intracytoplasmic Sperm Injection is recommended when there is a less chance of fertilization due to male infertility. In this technique, a single sperm is directly injected into the egg so as to form the embryo. These eggs are constantly monitored for embryo development.
When eggs are fertilized in either of the processes, the embryos are then implanted into the uterus.
The next step is the transfer of embryo to the uterus, however depending on individual case; the doctor may recommend the following process prior to it:
Pre- implantation Genetic Diagnosing (PGD)
When either or both the partners carry a risk of transferring any genetic disease to the child, PGD technique is advised. This procedure can identify the genetic disorders in the embryo and therefore makes sure that only the healthy embryo that does not contain any genetic defects is transferred to the uterus. It is a highly advanced technique that provides accuracy, however IVF doctors also recommend prenatal testing to further detect any problems.
Assisted Hatching in IVF
In order for an embryo to implant successfully into the uterine wall, it has to hatch out of the zona pellucida (outer layer) and attach to the uterus wall. Studies showed that in IVF the probability of the embryo to implant greatly increases when this zona pellucida is thin. Therefore, in assisted hatching, the IVF specialist makes a hole in the zona pellucida on the fourth day of the embryo development and makes the embryo ready for implantation in the uterus. This technique is generally recommended to women with poor embryo quality, who have had multiple failed IVF or have crossed normal child-bearing age.
4. Embryo Transfer
This is the final step in the IVF procedure. It is done after two to five days of the egg retrieval process. In this process, a flexible catheter carries the embryos and is inserted through the vagina to transfer them to the uterus. It is a painless process with a little uneasiness and gets over in just five minutes.
The doctor generally advises a rest of a day after this procedure. The embryo gets implanted in the uterus lining after six to ten days of the procedure. A pregnancy test is done after two weeks and once you conceive the IVF procedure becomes successful.
IVF is an advanced technique that has helps hundreds and thousands of childless couples across the globe to enjoy parenthood. It is a successful method for the treatment of infertility and is a great alternative to natural conceiving.
IVF (Test-Tube Baby Procedure) images
Note (for foreign patients):
Besides South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka), every year, India gets thousands of medical tourists from African countries- Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Ghana, Somalia,Gambia etc and Middle Eastern countries like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Yemen etc. Hence, if you are a citizen of any of these countries, there is good likelihood that you will be meeting some fellow citizens or same language speakers in the major hospitals in India. Almost all the top hospitals have translators for people of these region. Our patient support team is also well placed to assist you.