Prostate Cancer Treatment in India
In this article, we have covered the following:
- Best Hospitals for treatment of Prostate Cancer
- Top Oncologists for Prostate Cancer Treatment
- Cost of Prostate Cancer Treatment in India
- Understanding Prostate Cancer
Best Doctors and Hospitals for treatment of Prostate Cancer
Following is a list of the most reputed specialists in India for the treatment of Prostate Cancer.
Please click the ‘contact doctor‘ button on the right side for seeking opinion or requesting an appointment with your chosen specialist.
(*On mobile device, please click the ‘+’ symbol on the left to access the contact form)
Cost of Prostate Cancer Treatment
Unfortunately, we are not able to share the cost of this treatment as we are still awaiting response from few hospitals before publishing the cost. However, you may share your medical reports and we will share the cost of treatment from the hospital recommended for you.
Understanding Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the abnormal growth of cells inside the walnut-size prostate gland found in men located below the bladder that may grow either slowly or aggressively and later turn into tumor spreading to other parts of the body, if left untreated.
- Prostate cancer is the most common noncutaneous cancer among males
- Prevalence rates is more in African-American men than in white men
- Third most common cause of cancer death in males, after lung cancer and colorectal cancer.
Age has a definitive role in developing prostate cancer. Almost all prostate cancer patients are aging men over 50 years or more who are reported to have cancer either in their complete gland or part of it.
Men with family history of prostate cancer are at maximum risk of acquiring the disease. Attributes like hormones, lifestyle, or eating habits could also contribute to the development of prostate cancer in your body.
Symptoms of Prostate Cancer
Visible immediate symptoms of prostate cancer are rare. It generally attacks silently and develops slowly over the years. But you should never ignore the below signs:
- Frequent urination
- Difficulty in urination
- Blood in urine or semen
- Pain or burning sensation with urination
- Weakness due to anemia
- Pain in low back, hips, or thighs
- Fracture due to weak bones
Diagnosis of Prostate Cancer
Digital rectal examination (DRE) and PSA evaluation are the two components for screening
- PSA screening
- Digital Rectal Examination
- Biopsy and histologic examination
- Computed tomography (CT) scanning
- magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Bone scanning: To evaluate bone metastasis
Metastatic Prostate Cancer
Metastatic prostate cancer is rarely curable. In Metastatic prostate cancer symptoms are:
- Weight loss and loss of appetite
- Bone pain, with or without pathologic fracture
- Pain in Lower extremity and edema
Treatment of Prostate Cancer
Management is directed at relief of particular symptoms (e.g. palliative therapy)
Attempts to slow further progression of disease
Surgical treatment includes nerve-sparing techniques, laparoscopic procedures, robotically-assisted procedures, and the classic retropubic prostatectomy and perineal prostatectomy.
Radiation therapy are presently available in multiple forms.
- Conventional radiation therapy
- Three-dimensional (3-D) conformal radiation therapy
- Intensity-modulated radiation therapy
- Temporary and permanent brachytherapy
- Proton-beam radiotherapy
- Stereotactically guided radiation
Hormone therapy for prostate cancer is also known as androgen deprivation therapy (ADT). It may consist of surgical castration (orchiectomy) or medical castration
Most men with metastatic prostate cancer will need palliative care.
Cryotherapy—the ablation is done through induction of extremely cold temperatures, can be used both for primary treatment and for salvage treatment of disease which don’t respond to radiation therapy.
The Gleason grading system is used to determine prognosis in prostate cancer. It is based on histological evaluation of biopsy tissues.
Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH)
Also known as benign prostatic hypertrophy.
It is a normal part of the aging process in men and is hormonally dependent on testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) production
BPH tends to be more severe and progressive in African-American men, possibly because of the higher testosterone & other hormonal levels
When the prostate enlarges, it may decrease the urine flow.
- Urinary frequency
- Urinary urgency
- Nocturia- Need to get up frequently at night to urinate
- Hesitancy – Difficulty initiating the urinary stream
- Incomplete bladder emptying
- Decreased force of stream
- Dribbling of urine
- Digital rectal examination
- Laboratory studies
- Urine culture
- Prostate-specific antigen
- Electrolytes, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and creatinine
Ultrasonography (abdominal, renal, transrectal) helps to determine bladder and prostate size.
Cystoscopy may be done in patients scheduled for invasive treatment or in whom a foreign body or malignancy is suspected.
- Flow rate
- Urine volume
- Pressure flow studies
- Urodynamic studies
- Cytologic examination of the urine
- Pharmacologic treatment
- Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP)
- Open prostatectomy – Reserved for very large prostates (>75 g)
Minimally invasive treatment
- Transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP)
- Laser treatment
- Transurethral microwave therapy (TUMT)
- Transurethral needle ablation of prostate (TUNA)
- High-intensity ultrasonographic energy therapy
- Prostatic stents
- Laparoscopic prostatectomy
- Implanted devices to relieve prostatic obstruction
- Prostate artery embolization
Note (for foreign patients):
Besides South Asian countries (Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka), every year, India gets thousands of medical tourists from African countries- Nigeria, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sudan, Uganda, Ghana, Somalia,Gambia etc and Middle Eastern countries like Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Oman, UAE, Yemen etc. Hence, if you are a citizen of any of these countries, there is good likelihood that you will be meeting some fellow citizens or same language speakers in the major hospitals in India. Almost all the top hospitals have translators for people of these region. Our patient support team is also well placed to assist you.