Prof Dr. Mohamed Rela, Liver Transplant Surgeon, Chennai
Prof Dr. Mohamed Rela
MBBS, MS, FRCS
HOD and Senior Consultant- Gleneagles Global Hospital, Perumbakkam, Chennai
Department- Liver Transplant
Procedures Expertised :
Hepato-Biliary-Pancreatic Surgery, Auxilliary and Split Liver Transplantation, Resection for HCC, Cholangio carcinoma surgery
Introduction of Prof Dr. Mohamed Rela
Prof Dr. Mohamed Rela is a renowned surgeon with specialization in liver transplants and HPB surgery. He is counted among the top-most sought after liver surgeons of the world. With over three decades of clinical experience, he is also counted among the top 20 most innovative pediatric surgeons of the world by “Top Masters in Healthcare Administration”. He is best known to have performed a liver transplant on a 5-day- old infant for which his name has been recorded in the Guinness Book of World Records in 2000.
Having performed over 3000 transplant surgeries, he is greatly recognized for his contribution towards pediatric liver transplants. He has performed several complex liver transplants in infants and young patients with successful results. His area of interest lies in Pediatric liver transplantation and also performs hepatobiliary surgery, Whipple's surgery for pancreatic cancer, HCC resections for Cirrhosis and liver resections for Cholangiocarcinoma patients.
Dr. Mohamed Rela is known to perform the largest pediatric liver transplantations in Global Hospital where he currently practices. He is responsible for setting up the Living Donor Liver Transplant Program where he performs over 250 liver transplantations a year. This is the highest in South Asia. Dr Rela has also brought innovative techniques to treat liver diseases and carry out surgical procedures.
With over 280 publications to his name in peer-reviewed journals, Prof Dr. Mohamed Rela released the Master Class in Liver Diseases series. Every edition of the series brings with it new and innovative techniques and teachings for fellow surgeons. Liver experts from all over the world participate in the meetings and have discussions on the topics introduced in every edition. Previous editions included hepatobiliary tumours, pediatric liver diseases, the pathological basis of liver diseases, living donor liver transplantation, acute liver failure, peri-operative care of the liver recipient and the most recent one in 2017 titled Liver Diseases and Transplantation- Back to Basics.
- HOD and Senior Consultant, HPB and Liver surgery, Gleneagles Global Hospital, Perumbakkam, Chennai, Present
- Professor, Liver transplantation and surgery and Lead Clinician, Hepatobiliary surgery, King’s College Hospital, London, 2008-2010
- Consultant, Liver transplant and Hepatobiliary surgery, King’s College Hospital, London, 1994-2008
- Registrar and Senior Registrar, King’s College Hospital, London, 1992-1994
- Registrar, General Surgery, Medway Hospital, Gillingham, 1990-1991
- Registrar, General and Vascular Surgery, Arrowe Park Hospital, 1989-1990
- MBBS, Stanley Medical College and Hospital, Chennai, 1982
- MS, Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Surgery, Madras University, Chennai, 1987
- FRCS, General Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons, 1988
Awards and recognitions
- Guinness Book of World Records, 2000, Liver Transplantation on 5-day- old baby
- Chairman, Pediatric Committee, International Liver Transplantation Society