Dr Vivek Vij
MBBS, MS, DNB, MRCS
Director- Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram
Department- Liver Transplant and Hepato-Pancreato- Biliary Surgery
Procedures Expertised :
Adult and Pediatric Liver Transplant, Advanced and complex Laparoscopic and Robotic Liver Surgeries
Introduction of Dr Vivek Vij
Dr Vivek Vij is the founder of Liver Transplantation and Hepato-biliary Sciences Division in Fortis group of hospitals. With close to 18 years of experience in the field, he has performed over 2500 liver transplants with the record of 100% donor and 95% patient success rates. He is a leading liver transplant surgeon and is responsible for developing the living donor surgery with safety protocols enable 100% donor safety. He is counted among the top best liver surgeons in India to perform some of the complex liver-related cases.
Having practised in prestigious hospitals like Apollo and Sir Ganga Ram in India, Dr Vij holds the record of the lowest Binary Complication Rate which is 4% in Living Donor Liver Transplant in the world. He is one of the few doctors to master Laparoscopic and Robotic liver surgeries and has performed surgery and treated patients with complex liver diseases. His interest lies in adult and pediatric liver surgery, liver transplant, advanced pancreatic-biliary surgery and complex liver surgery.
Dr Vivek Vij is also famous for having started the series of Laparoscopic Donor Hepatectomy in Liver Transplantations, which is one-of- a-kind series in the country. He has also been awarded and appreciated for his contribution towards liver transplant filed. Dr Vij strives to bring several innovative and modern technology to Indian hospitals so as to make the Liver transplant Division highly recognized all over the world. He also finds interest in basic science research and regenerative medicine and has published several papers in international and national journals.
- Director, Liver Transplant and HPB surgery, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurugram, 2011- Present
- Consultant, Liver Transplant and HPB surgery, Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi, 2006-2011
- Senior Registrar, Liver Transplant and HPB surgery, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, 2003-2006
- Senior Registrar, General Surgery, Fortis Hospital, Chandigarh, 2001-2003
- MBBS, B J Medical College, University of Pune, 1992
- MS, General Surgery, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, Patiala, 1998
- Member of Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh
- DNB, National Board of Examinations, Delhi
- International Liver Transplant Society
- International Hepato-Pancreato- Biliary Association
- Indian Society of Organ Transplantation
Awards and recognitions
- Roche Preceptorship, University of Alabama, Birmingham, 2006
- Award from International Liver Transplant Society, Chicago, 2015