Dr. Abhaya Kumar, Neurosurgeon, Mumbai
Dr. Abhaya Kumar
MS (General Surgery), DNB (General Surgery), FRCS (General Surgery), FRCS (Neurosurgery)
Consultant- Kokilaban Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital and Medical Research Institute, Mumbai
Neurosurgery and Spine Surgery
Minimally Invasive Spine surgery, Stereotactic Radiosurgery, Adult and Pediatric Brain Tumor Surgery, Trigeminal Neuralgia Surgery
Dr. Abhaya Kumar is a highly experienced Neurosurgeon with expertise in Minimally Invasive Spine surgery, Stereotactic Radiosurgery and Brain surgery. Since the time he joined Kokilaben Hospital in Mumbai, Dr. Abhaya Kumar has performed more than 1400 spine surgeries and 1100 brain surgeries. He is an expert in Minimally Invasive Spine surgery and has performed over 800 of such procedures of which only 2% of the cases had to be converted into open surgery. The Minimally Invasive Spine Procedures include Minimally Invasive Lumbar Microdiscectomy, Lumbar TLIF and Lumbar Micro Decompression, Cervical Microforaminotomy, Transforaminal Endoscopic Lumbar Microdiscectomy, Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion, Vertebroplasty and Kyphoplasty.
With an overall experience of 25+ years, Dr. Abhaya Kumar has been associated with Kokilaben Hospital since 2008. He has a huge hand towards making it best among the only two Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery centers in Mumbai. He has taken up over 150 cases of Craniovertrebral junction anomalies, performed over 1200 brain tumor and over 150 spine tumor surgeries, treated more than 200 Refractory Trigeminal Neuralgia cases and over 500 Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke cases. His other areas of interest include head injury, Pituitary tumor, Subarachnoid hemorrhage, AVN and Cerebral Aneurysm, Hydrocephalus, Spinal Dysraphism and stroke.
Dr. Abhaya Kumar has taken up a lot of complex and risky neurosurgical cases in his career and working with Kokilaben Hospital which is the only centre for all kinds of surgical treatments for Trigeminal Neuralgia which includes Microvascular Decompression of the Trigeminal nerve, Radiofrequency of the Trigeminal Nerve and Stereotactic Surgery. Dr. Abhaya Kumar also performs surgeries for Parkinson’s disease (Deep Brain Stimulation) and medically refractory Epilepsy. He is among the top neurosurgeons in the country to be highly qualified for all types of neurosurgery and spine surgery procedures.
Work Experience of Dr. Abhaya Kumar
- Consultant, Neurosurgery and spine surgery, Kokilaban Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital, Mumbai, Present
- Consultant, Neurosurgery, Narayana Hrudalaya Hospital, Bangalore
Education and Training of Dr. Abhaya Kumar
- MBBS, Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
- MS, General Surgery, Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore
- DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi
- Training, Neurosurgery, Institute of Neurosciences, Glasgow, UK
- General Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons
- Neurosurgery, Royal College of Surgeons
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, UK
- Stereotactic Radiology, UK
- Bombay Neurosciences Association
- Neurological Society of India
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons