Dr. B Soma Raju, Cardiologist, Hyderabad
Dr. B Soma Raju
MBBS, MD, DM
Chairman and Managing Director- CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad
Chief and Senior Consultant- Department of Cardiology
Procedures Expertised :
- Primary coronary angioplasty, peripheral angioplasty and angiography, radical angioplasty and angiography, Rotablation
- Stent implantation, coronary artery stenting, directional coronary artery stenting, balloon valvuloplasty, heart valve treatment
Introduction of Dr. B Soma Raju
Dr. B Soma Raju is a Cardiologist in Hyderabad who is known to have developed the first coronary balloon catheter in India. Having received the fourth highest Indian civilian award, the Padma Shri, Dr. Raju has been constantly working towards developing affordable medical devices that are helpful in interventional cardiology. He is a highly experienced interventional cardiologist with expertise in a number of procedures that includes primary coronary angioplasty, peripheral angioplasty and angiography, radical angioplasty and angiography, rotablation, balloon valvuloplasty, heart valve treatment, Stent implantation, coronary artery
stenting and directional coronary artery stenting.
With an experience of more than 3 decades, Dr. B Soma Raju has worked as a cardiologist, a teacher as well as a researcher. He is a highly sought after cardiac specialist and is adept in providing emergency cardiac care. He is presently the Chief at the department of Cardiac Sciences of CARE hospitals in Hyderabad and has provided his services to various renowned hospitals and medical institutes of the country. He has been a part of the Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences for a decade where he served as the Head of Cardiology and Dean of the institute. He played a pioneering role in framing the department of cardiology in the institute
and is today one of the best for cardiac care in the country.
Dr. B Soma Raju has been actively involved in research work along with his practice. His primary aim is to provide the best medical care to the general public at affordable costs and has been actively working to develop the most advanced instruments which can be used in interventional cardiology. Along with the former President of India Lt. A P J Abdul Kalam, he developed the “Kalam- Raju Cardiac Stent” for patients with coronary heart diseases which was a cheaper alternative when compared to the other available stents.
Dr. B Soma Raju has publications to over 100 papers and articles to his credit in world renowned medical journals. He is a part of major cardiac societies and has attended several conferences, seminars and meetings in various parts of the world. He has been invited to present papers on his work and also deliver lectures and speeches at various national and international forums. For his immense knowledge and expertise in the field of cardiology he has received several awards and honors as well. He is one of the best interventional cardiologists in the country and the most recommended in Hyderabad.
Work Experience of Dr. B Soma Raju
- Chief and Senior Consultant, Interventional Cardiology, CARE Hospitals, Hyderabad, Present
- Professor, Additional Professor, Head of Department and Dean, Cardiology, Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad, 1984- 1993
- Assistant Professor, Cardiology, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad
Education of Dr. B Soma Raju
- MBBS, Guntur Medical College, Andhra Pradesh
- MD, Guntur Medical College, Andhra Pradesh, 1974
- DM, Cardiology, Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh, 1975
- Fellow, National Academy of Medical Sciences, 2002
Awards and recognitions of Dr. B Soma Raju
- Padma Shri, Government of India, 2001
- Andreas Gruentzig Memorial Award, 1998
- Yudhvir Foundation Memorial Award
- Asian Innovation Award, 1998